Tuesday 10 March 2009

Work is good sometimes!

Dad was grumbling on the phone again. I rang to ask what he'd like to do to celebrate turning a certain age, and it turned into a bit of a grumble session about how he felt about life the universe and everything!

So, as you'd expect, being the good daughter that I am, I tried to give some helpful thoughts and then departed for work with a lot of angst rumbling round my little head. So much so (apparently) that some people thought they were taking their lives in their hands just to say hello. Well, being at work has certain therapeutic qualities. I can think while I work, bounce ideas off people, and generally calm down to a point where I can think clearly again.

I remembered that Dad was a baker in a former lifetime, and on occasion still likes to bake at home. Dad also used to have an allotment and still enjoys gardening. Dad has a part time hobby repairing shoes. Dad likes to walk. Bit of an active, frustration-killing theme going there, so I rang him up again and reminded him of them.

You know you're on to something good when the person on the end of the phone sound more cheerful in 30 seconds than they have in 2 months, that's all I'll say! The last call didn't take long, but I think it helped a bit.

No comments: