Saturday 11 October 2008

What's important

This week I finally had television hooked up in my house for the first time in three years. Having lived without it that long I wondered what I would do with it, how much time I would spend watching and how it would change me.

I've discovered some very interesting things. I've discovered that I can't do without being up to date with the news at least twice a day, and if there's nothing better on I'll leave the news rolling. I've also discovered that while music channels are all very well, the programs I love best are the ones that show the goodness of man to his fellow man, inspiring everyone on to help and give hope to those without.

What's important to me, I have discovered, is not knowing the latest weather, or who has been shot, or who has gone bankrupt. It's knowing that there is still a spark of desire to give back hope, to help, to get things moving again.

Pay it forward. The idea of having had help, you give help to someone else who needs it, and then they do the same for someone else, rather than trying to repay the person who gave the help in the first place.

For those who really want to know what inspired this train of thought, it was Extreme Makeover Home Edition, originally made and broadcast by ABC. Helping people who couldn't help themselves and inspiring other people to do the same. I really can't think of a better thing to watch on a day when the week has left me limp and tired.

Giving is it's own reward. It changes the giver as well as helping the givee.

No comments: