Friday 19 September 2008

Nervous chatter

I'm bracing myself now. Tomorrow I get to go to the Corn Exchange in Town and find out if there are any allotments near me. If there are, then I can get out my pitifully poor equipment and start digging for Britain - or at least for my supper someday down the line!

There is a very long list of things I want to grow in my pocket, and I was very aware on the way home from work that I know nothing, but nothing about how to grow veg! Come to think of it, I know very little about growing fruit; soft or otherwise, too.

When do you plant potatoes, and which types are more disease resistant? And carrots? All I know is how to eat them. Beans? I think you just shove them in the ground and encourage them up a pole and then pick them, but I'm probably hideously wrong, and someone who knows a bit more about growing fruit and veg than I do is probably laughing very hard at me.

I am also not sure if I want help. I really want this to be something I do and learn from. If someone helps me, I'm a little worried that I'll turn into a bit of a passenger with my own allotment, not learn anything and the people who have helped or are helping will turn around and tell me they hate me!

Here's hoping that it's all ok

No comments: